Sunday, June 24, 2012

Strawberries and Rhubarb

Last weeks hot weather brought out the best in everything, including the strawberries.We are starting to gather some wild ones but for now the tame ones are ready and juicy.

We picked Friday before the heavy rains came, and in the evening after HB went to work we settled in for the evening we began to take on the chore of getting the berries done up and made some jam.

While we were out picking we walked pass the rhubarb patch and decided to pick there as well.
The weeones came home with their arms filled with Rhubarb (they looked like they were carrying kindling)
The girls were very helpful and cut up all the rhubarb for me.
Please excuse the mess of my island. (cleaning it off is only once a week lately and it was not it's day)

We made up a double batch of  stewed rhubarb and decided to make a strawberry Rhubarb pie
It was as good as it looked as we had it last night for desert after our roast chicken supper.

I still have a bit of rhubarb in the house after doing some more up into 2 cup bags for the freezer,and I will take what is left tonight and make up a batch of muffins for breakfast, as we will be busy packing for our trip to bring our trailer to the camp ground. We will only be staying over night as the weather is so wet this week and we will go there on the weekend again. ( I will not be posting Monday and Tuesday but check back on Wednesday for a post about our adventure taking the trailer.)

If any of you have any great Strawberry or Rhubarb recipes please do share as I am always looking for new ones to add to my cookbook.

4 comments:

  1. Your strawberries and jam look delicious! Our strawberries have been gone for a couple of weeks. I miss them now!

    Your pie looks so good! I think I could eat the whole thing myself. :)

    Have a great day.

    :)Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of our favorite things to do with strawberries is homemade ice cream. I guess that's one of our favorite things to do with most berries. I made peach ice cream last night. It was very good. Enjoy your day and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessica,
    Thanks so much for taking the time to visit my blog. :) I hope you will visit again. I will try and get some pictures of the bows on my blog. They turned out really cute. :) Your pie looks delicious. We love strawberries around here but have never had rhubarb. We love to go camping but don't own a trailer anymore. Maybe one day! I hope you guys have fun. I weather is extremely dry with temps in the 100's. Send us some of your rain please.:)

    Blessings,
    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  4. Guess we have been doing some of the same things...and the weather has been rain for two days..

    ReplyDelete