Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Homemade Bug Spray

With Summer comes outdoor living and with that comes bugs,and bug bites. and if you are like my children the bugs love you. I always hate to put that commercial bug spray on them as it is full of bad toxins. So I found a great recipe for homemade bug spray that seems to do the trick.

Homemade Bug Spray


6-8 oz unused sprayer bottle & small funnel

witch hazel

lemongrass essential oil

geranium essential oil

citronella essential oil


I just put my funnel in the bottle and fill with witch hazel, leaving one inch headspace. I then add in approximately 25 drops of Citronella and Lemongrass Essential Oils, as well as approximately 15 drops of Geranium Essential Oil. Remove funnel, replace sprayer cap, shake up and it is ready to use! I would recommend trying on a small patch of skin first, in case of any allergic reactions and do not spray near eyes. You can find sprayer bottles & witch hazel at any drug store 


I hope you are enjoying the beautiful weather and less bugs.

3 comments:

  1. This is such a good idea! I am afraid of the ingredients in store bought bug spray, but I'm also afraid of the diseases that the bugs might carry. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! I need to try that since Mia is complaining that what we use itches and burns.

    Blessings,
    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this idea!! Bugs love us too. I HATE the feel of store bought bug spray on my skin so I seldom use it, therefore, bugs just eat us up. Thanks again and God bless.

    ReplyDelete