Monday, January 16, 2012

Donair Recipe

Good morning. I was so amazed at how many people have never heard of Donairs. I guess I took for granted that everyone knew about them.
We get donairs here at most pizza places. They consist of pita bread topped with donair meat, then the trimming which is usually lettuce, tomatoes(chopped), chopped onions(raw) cheese and donair sauce.
The meat is served heated and along with the bread and sauce.
usually wrapped up in foil.


Over the years people discovered that it was also great made into a Donair pizza. Which just had pizza dough,donair sauce, meat,tomatoes,onions and cheese. Some add peperoni to both the donairs,and pizzas as well.

So that's a little bit about donairs. I use a old family recipe for my donair meat that was passed down from 3 generations of my old friends grandparents pizza place.

Donair Meat

5lbs of ground beef
1/2 t. pepper
1t. cayenne pepper
1t. oregano
1T. MSG
1c. dry bread crumbs
2t. paprika
2t. onion powder
pinch of garlic powder

Mix in large bowl.
Take mixture and mix together well. Place in 2 containers and press all the meat inside until very firm. Remove from container and place in 300 degree oven. Cook for 2 1/2 hours. Make sure the meat is in a drip pan for cooking. Afterwards, slice with chopped tomatoes,lettuce,and onions. Meat can be frozen.


Donair Sauce

6 oz can of evaporated milk
1/3c. white sugar
1/2t. garlic powder
2T vinegar
Mix milk and vinegar.Let it thicken add sugar and garlic powder. whip with electric mixer until thick.

8 comments:

  1. When I read it the other day...I was thinking donair must of been some kind of Canadain animal I had never heard of and that you ate it's meat...LOL...so glad it is cleared up *grin* It looks delicious! I'm gonna have to find some of that bread so I can make me some. Do you chill the meat mixture to help firm it up? I am definately gonna be trying this ! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Cary Ann I laughed so much when I read this. I love donairs and I am sure you will too.
    Have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh by the you could chill it to firm if you want but I don't

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never heard of a Donair. It looks a little bit like our Gyros, but we use lamb for the meat. Sauce and bread are the same, though. Looks delicious, I'm going to save this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUM that sounds SO good - I've never heard of this before, but would love to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd never heard of donair or donair pizza until today. When I googled it to find out what it was, I found your recipe here. It sounds SO good! Looks like I know what I'll be cooking some night this week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think Donairs are very specific to Canada. I am from the US, visited Halifax a few times in 2005 and fell in love with the sandwhich of course. I haven't tried to make any at home, but I think I'll try your recipe. A good donair is heaven in aluminum foil. One of the best food items I've ever ate.

    ReplyDelete